Friday 6 April 2012

John Clayton Calla Lily finish...

An exciting Wipocalypse update for April 2012... 

I have a finish of one of the works in progress (and increased the leftover bobbins in my box of thread ... a picture of which I promise for the next update). It is the 'Calla Lily' by John Clayton, which was a Heritage kit I bought from eBay. It was a small distraction from when I was working on the Lickle Ted stitching a few months ago, but somehow it has got completed first. Unfortunately, there is no progress to report on the Lickle Ted and bunny stitching. This is how the work looked a moon ago:

March 2012

 And now this is how it looks complete:

April 2012

I absolutely adore the design for several reasons. For one there is almost no backstitching (only one stitch!) The colours are gorgeous, and the image begging to be displayed. But before that can be done I will need to complete the other 7 flowers in the series, as I personally feel they should all go together and I love all 8 of them. Not certain on how yet. Maybe 2 frames of 4 flowers per frame. Once I stitch a few more it will be clear.

As a reward to this completion, and while still on the hype of John Clayton's beautiful images (paintings) I have decided to start one of the other kits I had on the Wipocalypse to do list - John Clayton's 'Big Ben'.

April 2012
I did not get far with stitching when a realisation hit me ... it is almost April. A month of all birthdays it seems. Not only mine (that is the birthday of the least worries for a stitcher) but of three friends and 2 coworkers (stitched cards is a new thing for me and I have not yet introduced them to the work aspect of my life - but having been invited to attend a birthday meal and knowing that it is rude to show up empty handed ... it is the perfect time to start). So far I have created only 4 birthday cards and now I need 5 for one month ... to stitch in less than a month. I thought I was off on a good start when I have competed a beautiful one of a rose (which has taken me days!) only to be pointed out that the person I have made it for is colour blind. 

My progress on this to follow ... as a hint I am working on some designs in the current issue of the World of Cross Stitching magazine, one back issue of the same magazine, and have completed the unfortunately rose on the problem of which I am still pondering.

Till soon,
Lija 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I love it. I can see why you enjoyed stitching it. The pink flowers on my examplar finish are made with a spider web stitch: you have five prong stitches going outwards and then just weave the thread under and over them until the space is filled. They were great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the beautiful finish! Great start on Big Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The finished flower is beautiful =)
    Big Ben is a nice paiting and you made a great start on it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lily is beautiful. Congratulations.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish. Don't worry about the rose, you'll find something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your finished flower its lovely.
    Love the cards you have made as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lija! I'm the admin on Margaret Sherry's Fan blog :)
    About our Summer exchange, you can read all rules here: http://msherrylovers.blogspot.pt/2012/04/summer-exchange.html Let me know if you have any more questions :)

    Would you like to join our group? You can post all Margaret sherry's designs that you've stitched :) Just send me an email to msherrylovers@gmail.com
    I hope you'll join our group and also have some fun with our Summer exchange! :D

    Hugs&smiles, Nia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrat on the finish, Lija. It's beautiful!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete